The roots of Aikido reach back to the feudal Japan of the 9th century. According to tradition the first techniques of this fighting system were developed by Prince Teijun, the 6th son of Emperor Seiwa (850-880). Over the centuries, these techniques were only passed on within the Minamoto family. Until Shinra Saburo Yoshimitsu, the younger brother of Yishiie Minamoto. Yoshimitsu studied the anatomy of the body on dead and criminals. He also observed animals (e.g. spiders) as they caught their prey.
His residence, the Daito Mansion, eventually gave the system the name by which it became known: Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu.
His second son Yoshikyo lived in Takeda, in the province of Kai. Probably the name of the „Takeda clan“ is derived from this place.
Also only family members were initiated into the Daito-Ryu techniques and thus also reached Sokaku Takeda (1859-1943), who played a decisive role in the development of modern Aikido. In the meantime there were big differences between Daito-Ryu and the system developed more than 1000 years ago. The specific techniques that Takeda studied are unknown. Except his training of Ona-ha Itto-Ryu Kenjutsu. He was a famous master of this sword art.
Takeda also taught the techniques outside his family. With the downfall of the Samurai caste and the prohibition of sword carrying in public, he concentrated on the weaponless techniques of Jujutsu, until then secret techniques of the clan. Combined with other learned techniques he called his martial art first Daito-Ryu Jujutsu and later Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu.
One of his students was Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of today’s Aikido. Ueshiba met Takeda in 1915 during a 10-day seminar. He was so impressed that he learned Daito-Ryu (the basis of the Aikido techniques). Additionally he studied Kito-Ryu Jujitsu, Yagyu-Shinkage-Ryu Kenjutsu and other weaponless and armed martial arts.
Strongly influenced by the shintoistically oriented Omotokyo sect of the Deguchi Onisaburo, Ueshiba complemented the hard physical training with meditation exercises.
In 1931 Ueshiba opened his Kobukan, which was sometimes called „hell dojo“. It was Ueshiba’s strongest time physically, his training was hard. At that time among his students was Gozo Shioda, the later founder of Yoshinkan Aikido.
In 1942 Ueshiba went to Iwama, opened another dojo and ran a farm. In 1945 he founded the Aikikai, despite the ban on martial arts after the war. The Aikikai Honbu Dojo was located in Tokyo, although Ueshiba stayed mainly in Iwama.
The Tokyo dojo was run by his son Kisshomaru and other of his best students, including Tohei Koichi, who later founded Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido (the Ki Society).
The form taught in Shinbukan corresponds to the martial art created by Johann Toth (Budokan Dietfurt) according to the aspects of possible applications and effectiveness in everyday life. The name „Tora Doshi“ is a reference to him (year of birth, year of the tiger). The most important techniques of Aikido have been retained in form and execution.